What was Pakistan’s role in breaking the Soviet Union?
- Pakistan provided sanctuary for the mujahideen fighters.
- Pakistan trained around 100,000 Afghans to fight the Soviet Union.
- Pakistan provided intelligence to the mujahideen fighters.
- Pakistan provided weapons the mujahideen fighters
- Weapons from the USA and Gulf states were funnelled through Pakistan.
- According to some Afghan sources EVERY Mujahideen unit had at the very least 1 Pakistani instructor.
- Pakistani commandos (SSG) participated in many battles especially against the spetznaz who were highly trained and would have caused a lot of casualties had they fought the Afghan mujahideen.
- Regular Pakistani soldiers fought in mujahideen ranks.
- Many civilian men from all across Pakistan fought alongside the mujahideen as they saw it as a holy war against the atheist communists who were invading a neighbouring muslim country with the intention of possibly invading Pakistan at a later time.
- It is reported that the Pakistani Air Force shot down around 6–8 Russian fighter jets whilst losing 0 in the process.
It is safe to say that without Pakistans huge contributions to the Afghan-Soviet war the outcome could have been quite a lot different, Germany recognised Pakistans role in the defeat of the Soviet union and sent Pakistan the 1st brick of the Berlin war and other gifts as a thank you. The Afghan taliban till this day is loyal to Pakistan as it recognises the help that Pakistan gave to them in their war against the Soviet Union.