VISION OF DIGITAL INDIA PROGRAMME
VISION OF DIGITAL INDIA PROGRAMME
DIGITAL INDIA PROGRAMME
- Even though India is known as a powerhouse of software, the availability of electronic government services to citizens is still comparatively low.
- The National e-Governance Plan approved in 2006 has made a steady progress through Mission Mode Projects and Core ICT Infrastructure, but greater thrust is required to ensure effective progress in electronics manufacturing and e-Governance in the country.
- The Digital India vision provides the intensified impetus for further momentum and progress for this initiative and this would promote inclusive growth that covers electronic services, products, devices, manufacturing and job opportunities.
- India in the 21st Century must strive to meet the aspirations of its citizens where government and its services reach the doorsteps of citizens and contribute towards a long-lasting positive impact.
- The Cabinet on August 20, 2014 at the meeting chaired by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi gave its approval for Digital India — A programme to transform India into digital empowered society and knowledge economy. This programme has been envisaged by Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY).
- The vision of Digital India aims to transform the country into a digitally empowered society and knowledge economy by leveraging IT as a growth engine of new India. The programme will be implemented in phases from the current year till 2019.
- The Digital India is transformational in nature and would ensure that Government services are available to citizens electronically. It would also bring in public accountability through mandated delivery of government’s services electronically, a Unique ID and e-Pramaan based on authentic and standard based interoperable and integrated government applications and data basis.
- The project has a total overlay of Rs 1 lakh crore, aims to ensure that government services are available to citizens electronically and help people gain benefits from the latest information and communication technology. VISION OF DIGITAL INDIA PROGRAMME
- The source of funding for most of the e-Governance projects at present is through budgetary provisions of respective Ministries/ Departments in the Central or State governments.
Infrastructure as Utility to Every Citizen:
- High speed internet as a core utility shall be made available in all Gram Panchayats.
- Cradle to grave digital identity – unique, lifelong, online and authenticable.
- Mobile phone and Bank account would enable participation in digital and financial space at individual level.
- Easy access to a Common Service Centre within their locality.
- Shareable private space on a public Cloud.
- Safe and secure Cyberspace in the country.
Governance and Services on Demand:
- Seamlessly integrated across departments or jurisdictions to provide easy and a single window access to all persons.
- Government services available in real time from online and mobile platforms.
- All citizen entitlements to be available on the Cloud to ensure easy access.
- Government services digitally transformed for improving Ease of Doing Business.
- Making financial transactions above a threshold, electronic and cashless.
- Leveraging GIS for decision support systems and development. VISION OF DIGITAL INDIA PROGRAMME
Digital Empowerment of Citizens:
- Universal digital literacy.
- All digital resources universally accessible.
- All Government documents/ certificates to be available on the Cloud.
- Availability of digital resources / services in Indian languages.
- Collaborative digital platforms for participative governance.
- Portability of all entitlements for individuals through the Cloud.