ü G.S. Paper 1,3
ü About Nayachar Islands
About Nayachar Islands
- Nayachar is a newly emerged island with mangrove ecosystem in the middle estuary of the Hooghly River in West Bengal.
- This land mass was created in the Indian Sunderbans by river silt deposits, and remained largely submerged, rising occasionally above the water level.
- Till 1990 it was completely barren, with hardly any plant or animal species.
- In October 2017 publication by the Zoological Survey of India (ZSI) titled ‘Studies on the Succession and Faunal Diversity and Ecosystem Dynamics in Nayachar Island Indian Sundarban Delta’ has listed 151 animal species on the island, making it a rare case in ecology.
- The natural succession of species on the island has been aided by the inundation of water during tides, and the soil brought from other places by fishermen.
|Write answer on brainyias.com
Write in real time conditions
Get your answer evaluated by experts.
Artificial intelligence embedded software.
Evaluation of 6 parameters.