NATIONAL ACTION PLAN ON CLIMATE CHANGE
NATIONAL ACTION PLAN ON CLIMATE CHANGE
- The National Action Plan on Climate Change (NAPCC) was released on 30th June 2008.
- It effectively pulls together a number of government’s existing national plans on water, renewable energy, energy efficiency, agriculture and others—bundled with additional ones—into a set of eight missions.
- The Prime Minister’s Council on Climate Change is in charge of the overall implementation of the Plan.
- The Plan document emphasises the overriding priority of maintaining high economic growth rates to raise living standards; the plan ‘identifies measures that promote development objectives, while also yielding co-benefits for addressing climate change effectively’
- It says that these national measures would be more successful with the assistance from developed countries, and pledges that India’s per capita greenhouse gas emissions ‘will at no point exceed that of developed countries even as we pursue our development objectives.
Eight sub-missions under National Action Plan on Climate Change are mentioned below.
National Solar Mission or Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission
- It has the objective to produce solar power of 100,000 MW (earlier 20,000 MW) by 2022.
- The National Solar Mission is a major initiative of the Government of India and state governments to promote ecologically sustainable growth, while addressing India’s energy security challenge.
- It will also constitute a major contribution by India to the global effort to meet the challenges of climate change. The objective of the National Solar Mission is also to establish India as a global leader in the solar energy.
National Mission for Enhanced Energy Efficiency
The National Mission for Enhanced Energy Efficiency (NMEEE) includes the following:
- Perform, Achieve and Trade: A market-based mechanism to enhance energy efficiency in energy-intensive large industries, through certification of energy savings that could be traded.
- Market Transformation for Energy Efficiency (MTEE): Accelerates the shift to energy-efficient appliances in designated sectors through innovative measures to make the products more affordable.
- Energy Efficiency Financing Platform (EEFP): The objective of EEFP is to provide a platform to interact with financial institutions and project developers for implementation of energy-efficient projects.
National Mission for Sustainable Habitat
- It envisages a framework to build urban resilience to climate change, by integrating adaptation and mitigation aspects into the urban planning process.
- It outlines the need for addressing preparedness and creating resilient urban infrastructure through appropriate capacity building and regulatory realignment.
National Water Mission
- The main objective of the National Water Mission (NWM) is ‘conservation of water, minimising wastage and ensuring its more equitable distribution, both across and within states, through integrated water resources development and management.
The five identified goals of the Mission are as follows:
- Comprehensive water database in public domain and assessment of the impact of climate change on water resource;
- Promotion of citizen and state action for water conservation, augmentation and preservation;
- Focussed attention to vulnerable areas including over-exploited areas;
- Increasing water-use efficiency by 20%, and
- Promotion of basin level integrated water resources management. NATIONAL ACTION PLAN ON CLIMATE CHANGE
National Mission for Sustaining Himalayan Ecosystem
The Mission attempts to address some important issues concerning the following:
- Himalayan glaciers and the associated hydrological consequences.
- Biodiversity conservation and protection.
- Wildlife conservation and protection.
- Traditional societies and their livelihood.
- Planning for sustaining the Himalayan ecosystem.
It further aims to achieve the following:
- To understand scientifically complex processes affecting this ecosystem,
- To evolve suitable management and policy measures for sustaining and safeguarding the Himalayan ecosystem including Himalayan glaciers, and
- To work with the states in the Indian Himalayan region for the implementation of scientifically derived policy measures.
National Mission for Green India
- It recognises that climate change phenomena will seriously affect and alter the distribution, type and quality of natural biological resources of the country and the associated livelihoods of the people. NATIONAL ACTION PLAN ON CLIMATE CHANGE
- Mission for a Green India acknowledges the influences that the forestry sector has on environmental amelioration through climate mitigation, food security, water security, biodiversity conservation and livelihood security of forest-dependent communities.
The objectives of the Mission are as follows:
- To increase forest/tree cover on five million hectares (mha) of forest/non-forest lands and to improve the quality of forest cover on another five mha (a total of 10 mha).
- To improve ecosystem services including biodiversity, hydrological services and carbon sequestration as a result of treatment of 10 mha.
- To increase forest-based livelihood income of about three million households living in and around the forests.
- To enhance annual CO2 sequestration by 50 to 60 million tonnes in the year 2020. NATIONAL ACTION PLAN ON CLIMATE CHANGE
National Mission for Sustainable Agriculture
- It seeks to address issues regarding ‘sustainable agriculture’ in the context of risks associated with climate change by devising appropriate adaptation and mitigation strategies through four functional areas, namely:
- Research and development,
- Technologies, products and practices,
- Infrastructure and
- Capacity building for ensuring food security, equitable access to food resources, enhancing livelihood opportunities and contributing to economic stability at the national level.
- The Mission, therefore, seeks to transform Indian agriculture into a climate resilient production system.
National Mission on Strategic Knowledge for Climate Change
- The National Mission on Strategic Knowledge for Climate Change serves as a support mission for generating and providing strategic knowledge to all the other seven national missions under NAPCC, with built-in capacity for continuous and mid-course changes. NATIONAL ACTION PLAN ON CLIMATE CHANGE
- It takes into account the international developments in climate change related issues.
ALSO READ : https://www.brainyias.com/ganga-action-plan/