LIST OF IMPORTANT ANIMAL SPECIES THREATENED IN INDIA
LIST OF IMPORTANT ANIMAL SPECIES THREATENED IN INDIA
Large Rock Rat or Elvira Rat
- Elvira rat is a medium sized rat. It is nocturnal and has a tendency to burrow.
- It is found in rocky areas of deciduous forests. In India, it is mainly found in Tamil Nadu.
Namdapha Flying Squirrel
- It is found in Namdapha (Arunachal Pradesh).
- It is also known as the flying squirrel, because it jumps from high trees and glides through the air like a kite.
- It is killed by native communities for food.
- It is one of the world’s rarest mammals endemic to India.
- It is found in the Malabar region of Kerala (Western Ghats).
- It is nocturnal in nature. Its habitat is both plains and hill slopes.
- It is a subspecies of deer. It is the state animal of Jammu and Kashmir.
- It is also found in Chamba, Himachal Pradesh.
- It is found in the Rann of Kutch.
- Its population has significantly reduced due to spread of disease and habitat degradation because of excessive salt in the soil. LIST OF IMPORTANT ANIMAL SPECIES THREATENED IN INDIA
- It is the former species (primate) of monkey.
- Its fur is golden in colour. It is found in western Assam.
Himalayan/White Bellied Musk Deer
- It is found in Kashmir, Uttarakhand and Sikkim. It lacks antlers (branched horns on head) but possesses a pair of enlarged canines that grow continuously.
- The musk deer is called so because of the presence of the gland in the male musk deer.
- Musk is used for making medicines, perfumes, etc.
- It looks like a monkey.
- It is found in the pockets of Western Ghats in evergreen forests of Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
- It is the state animal of Tamil Nadu. It is present in the grasslands of Western Ghats.
- It has two large horns on its head.
Great Indian One-horned Rhinoceros
- It is found in Assam in the Kaziranga National Park, Manas National Park and in the Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary. It prefers foothills of Himalayas.
- It is killed because of the oriental belief that its horns have medicinal properties.
- It is found in Tibet and Himalayan region. It is hunted for its wool which is used to make shahtoosh shawls, scarfs, etc. LIST OF IMPORTANT ANIMAL SPECIES THREATENED IN INDIA
- The Chinese government accuses that demand for shahtoosh shawls in India leads to illegal poaching of Tibetan antelope.
- It is killed for its meat and sporting trophies (hunting events).
- It exhibits sexual dimorphism, i.e., large differences between male and female of the species.
- It prefers grasslands. It is found in the states of Rajasthan, Gujarat, parts of Deccan, Odisha and West Bengal.
- It is found at the lesser altitude in the Himalayas in temperate forests (colder coniferous forests).
- It is found in Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh and Assam.
- It is the subspecies of brow-antlered deer found only in Manipur, India. It is also the state animal of Manipur.
- It lives in the marshy wetland in Keibul Lamjao, about 45 km from Imphal.
- Its habitat is located in the southern parts of the Loktak Lake, which is the largest freshwater lake in eastern India. LIST OF IMPORTANT ANIMAL SPECIES THREATENED IN INDIA
- The habitat of Sangai is now protected at the Keibul Lamjao National Park.
- Kharai camel or swimming camels are found in Gujarat’s Bhuj area. Gujarat is the only home to Kharai camel. Kharai camel can live in both coastal and dry ecosystems.
- It grazes on mangrove trees and is tolerant to high saline water.
- It can swim up to three kilometres into the sea in search of mangroves.
- The camel is distinct from other camels because of its rounded back, long and thin legs and small feet.
- The camel has adapted to the extreme climate of Rann and shallow seas and high salinity.
- Its population is less than 10,000. Its population is available in the wild habitat as well as in the domesticated habitat. LIST OF IMPORTANT ANIMAL SPECIES THREATENED IN INDIA
- It is recognised as the national aquatic animal. It is found in Ganga and its tributaries.
- Its presence indicates the pollution level in Ganga. Freshwater dolphins are rare.
- Saltwater dolphins are in abundance
- It is found in the Gulf of Mannar (Tamil Nadu).
- Its front side resembles a cow. LIST OF IMPORTANT ANIMAL SPECIES THREATENED IN INDIA
- It is a bustard subspecies known for its mating dance. It is prevalent in grasslands.
- Males attract females through dance for mating purpose.
- In India, Bengal Florican is found in Uttar Pradesh, Assam and Arunachal Pradesh
- It migrates from the Siberian region to Keoladeo Ghana National Park in Rajasthan during winter months.
- It is also called Siberian white crane or snow crane due to its whitish appearance.
- However, because of destruction of its habitats, its population has disappeared in India.
- It is also a migratory bird. It arrives in Western Ghats from various places.
- It is reddish in appearance. LIST OF IMPORTANT ANIMAL SPECIES THREATENED IN INDIA
- It is also a migratory bird.
- It is a bird which prefers water bodies such as large lakes.
Olive ridley turtle
- Olive ridley is a sea turtle. It has nesting sites in Bhitarkanika and Gahirmatha, Odisha.
- Due to interference in the coastal environment, fewer turtles arrive at the coast of Odisha to lay eggs.
- It survives in marine environment.
- It is found in India in Sundarbans, Bhitarkanika and Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- The gharial also known as the gavial, is a fish-eating crocodile.
- It is India’s most critically endangered reptile species. According to IUCN, nearly 250 gharials are present in the wild. LIST OF IMPORTANT ANIMAL SPECIES THREATENED IN INDIA
- Gharial, also known as long-nosed crocodile, is the longest living species of crocodilians in the world.
- Chambal Wildlife Sanctuary located on river Chambal in the state of Madhya Pradesh is home to gharials.
- The sanctuary is near the tri-point of Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh.