Keywords related to thinkers
- Advocating professionalization
- Pendleton act 1883
- Introduction to the study of administration
- Spoils system
- Non Partisan
- NN Vohra committee ?
- Science of Administration
- CHARLES JEAN BONIN
- MOSTESQUIEU THE Prince.
- Was Woordow wilson worried about the increase in the power of bureaucracy?
- It is easy to frame the constitution than to run it.
- There is no republican way of making a road.
- How is dichotomy ensured in India
- Artcle 311 and part 14
- Why dichotomy is good
- Why dichotomy is bad
- Balanced bureaucracy concept
- Interference in bureaucracy
- Interaction is must as it will yield to better results.
- Rossenbloom and Nicholas henry- Balanced bureaucracy
- Present condition of dichotomy.
- Rejection of doesnt dichotomy means that public administration should go back to
Keywords on taylor
- scientific methodologies
- high turnover
- bottom-up process
- Midvale Steel
- adopt new methodologies
- 1. Systematic analysis of each distinct operation
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME).
- These include Notes on Belting (1894), A Piece-Rate System (1895), Shop Management (1903), Art of Cutting Metals (1906), and The Principles of Scientific Management (1911).
- Taylor died in 1915 and by the 1920s, scientific management was still influential but had entered into competition and syncretism with opposing or complementary ideas.
- Gang boss,speed boss,repair boss,inspector
- Instruction card clerk,time clek,cost clerk,shop sisciplinarian
- Exception principle
- Differential piece rate system
- Mental revolution
- House of representatives –
- Inquiry committee
- Stakhanovite movement
- Chollima movement
- In 1877, at age 22, Frederick W. Taylor started as a clerk in Midvale, but advanced to foreman in 1880.
- Henry L. Gantt (1861–1919)
- Carl G. Barth (1860–1939)
- Horace K. Hathaway (1878–1944)
- Morris L. Cooke (1872–1960)
- Sanford E. Thompson (1867–1949)
- Henry Mintzberg
- Harry Bravermans
- James W. Rinehart
Keywords related to weber
- Pejorative connotation
- Types of authority – Traditional,chrismatic and Legal Rational
- Feudal and Partimonial
- Merit system
- Written rules
- Personal life is separated from official life
- Separation of power
- Amateur administration
- Direct democracy
- Representative democracy
- How weber and wilson theorised on the role of civil society in making administration accountable
- Reasons for the rise of bureaucracy
- Vincent de gourney
- Rent seeking behaviour
- Budget maximiser
- Red tapism
- Protestant ethics and spirit of capitalism
- Theory of social and economic organisation
- Thomas hobbes has proposed strong state
- Historical comparative methods to study
- Iron cage
- Bureaucracy is a rational organisation due to speed,decision,stability,reliability and predictability
- elite oriented
- status quo
- ideal form
Keywords related to NPM and NPA
- performance evaluation,
- result oriented,
- private sector mechanisms,
- Parsimony and Prudence,
Examples of NPM –
- Next steps in UK
- Work improvement teams
- Citizens Charter
- Prior option review
- Catalytic government
- Community owned government
- Customer oriented government
- Competitive government
- Result oriented government
- Anticipating government
- Decentralised Government
- Mission oriented government
- Enterprising Government
- Market oriented Government
Comparison table of Traditional public administration,New public Management and New public service
Interlink Wilson,waldo and simon with Indian Administration
Themes of Wilson , Waldo and Simon (10):
1. Wilsonian dichotomy( separation of politics from administration) is more pronounced
at panchayat level than at state or union level.
2. In spirit of effective decentralisation the PRI bodies should also have functions like
budgeting, village police, freedom to recruit its own staff, freedom to impose taxes
etc. This will ensure that administration at local level is not a top down, imposed
model but infact is run business like as has been suggested by Wilson.
3. Running administration in a democracy is difficult compared to monarchy because of
presence of a MULTITUDINOUS MONARCH called public opinion. This was evident in
4. NITI ayog supports the “relevance” part of NPA paradigm. Waldonian perspective
emphasized on public administration and its institutions to be relevant to the needs of
society. PC wasn’t any more, NITI is.
5. To o l s l i ke R i g h t t o i n f o r m a t i o n , C i t i z e n c h a r t e r s a n d r i g h t t o p u b l i c s e r v i c e m a ke
administration value laden, keeping public service aspect at the centre. This was the
core demand of Waldo in his voice for making administration value laden, unlike his
predecessors who had a value free approach.
6. Waldo would not be happy with the way the bureaucrats are being fired of f today in
India. He would have asked bureaucracy to be more relevant, more efficient and more
value oriented given his faith in abilities of bureaucracy( The 2nd MB perspective,
Public administration is here to stay).
7. Inclusion of ex-bureaucrats and ex-Ambassadors in Modi cabinet would increase the
bounded rationality in decision making process. It is also a grand move towards
institutionlisation of politics-administration fusion at the highest administrative level
possible. This can be a precedent in itself.
8. GST has all three thinkers working at same time: Wilsonian call to make government
running more business like, Simon’s emphasis on reducing discretion ( value
judgements) in taxation policy( Clear categorisation of tax brackets, GSTN network,
use of computers) and Waldonian call to make administration more relevant and
equity oriented( One nation, one tax policy).
9. The Waldo-Simon debate ( efficiency vs Values) is reflective in Government’s passing
of Aadhar Act and SC’s judgement in declaring right to privacy as fundamental right.
10. Simon runs through veins of Modi: Use of technology to improve decision making
process, reducing bureaucratic discretion, inclusion of experts in decision making
process, NITI Ayog( Evidence based policy making), periodic programme monitoring(
PRAGATI platform) and finally inclusion of experts in council of ministers. Thus an
PRAGATI platform) and finally inclusion of experts in council of ministers. Thus an effort is on the way to make administration more business like(Wilson) based on more fact, data and domain expertise( Simon).