INITIATIVES TO REDUCE CLIMATE CHANGE
INITIATIVES TO REDUCE CLIMATE CHANGE
National Bioenergy Mission
- The Government of India has introduced the ninth mission under NAPCC. This new mission is called National Bioenergy Mission.
- It is being developed to push sustainable development in the renewable energy sector.
The Bioenergy Mission aims to achieve the following:
- To improve energy efficiency in traditional biomass consuming industries.
- To develop a bioenergy city project.
- To provide logistic support to biomass processing units.
- To develop GIS-based National Biomass Resource Atlas to map potential biomass regions in the country.
- Seventy percent of our country’s population have only limited access to electricity. Presently, India has a total installed capacity of 3,000 MW of biomass-based power generation.
- Studies sponsored by the Ministry have estimated surplus biomass availability at about 120-150 million metric tonnes per annum, covering agricultural and forestry residues corresponding to a potential of about 18,000 MW.
- Apart from this, 5000 MW additional power could be generated through bagasse produced in the country’s 550 sugar mills.
- Each MW generated from biomass plants would be able to cover about 6,000 rural households.
Advantages of Biomass
- Biomass is derived from agriculture, animal and human waste. It can be harnessed to produce fuel, power and heat.
- Biomass has the potential to address the nation’s energy, environmental and economic needs simultaneously.
- Increased use of biomass for energy would lead to reduced greenhouse gas emissions. It is renewable, widely available, carbon-neutral and has the potential to provide significant employment in the rural areas.
- It is also very low in sulphur, reducing the production of acid rain. INITIATIVES TO REDUCE CLIMATE CHANGE
- The National Solar Mission, along with the Bioenergy Mission will certainly increase the renewable mix of energy.
- Green building (also known as green construction or sustainable building) refers to both the structure and the use of processes that are environmentally responsible and resource-efficient throughout a building’s life cycle: from designing to construction, operation, maintenance, renovation and demolition.
- In other words, green building design involves finding a balance between homebuilding and the sustainable environment.
- This requires close cooperation of the design team, architects, engineers and the client at all project stages.
Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment
- The Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment, known as GRIHA is a Sanskrit word meaning ‘abode’.
- It is a rating tool to help people assess the performance of their buildings against nationally acceptable environmental benchmarks.
- For instance, GRIHA attempts to quantify aspects such as energy consumption, waste generation, etc. INITIATIVES TO REDUCE CLIMATE CHANGE
- GRIHA was conceived by The Energy and Resource Institute (TERI) and developed jointly by TERI and the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.
- It is an index of top 20 companies (on Bombay Stock Exchange) which have the highest market capitalisation.
- The index highlights the carbon emissions of these 20 companies. The index began from 1st October 2008 with a base value of 1000.
- The purpose of the index is to generate awareness about carbon emissions by the corporate sectors. INITIATIVES TO REDUCE CLIMATE CHANGE
Science Express Train
- Science Express is an innovative mobile science exhibition of the Department of Science & Technology (DST) mounted on a 16 coach AC train.
- With the objective of arousing interest in the young people in the field of science and technology, the exhibition on wheels—Science Express—was launched from Delhi in 2007.
- It is a mega outreach programme of DST by the Government of India and is being managed by Vikram A. Sarabhai Community Science Centre (VASCSC), since its inception in 2007.
- Till date, this unique mobile exhibition has completed its eight phases which include four phases of ‘Science Express, three phases of `Biodiversity Special’ (SEBS) and one phase of ‘Climate Action Special’ (SECAS).
- In the year 2017, the SECAS train was flagged off to spread awareness about climate change across the country.
- The eight coaches of the train are devoted to information, case studies and materials related to various aspects of climate change.
- It will also showcase the underlying science, impacts, mitigation solutions, adaptation activities and policy approaches.
- The VASCSC is an NGO based in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. It works towards popularising education on Science and Mathematics among the public.
- Its mandate is to stimulate interest in the principles of science and to find innovative methods of science education. INITIATIVES TO REDUCE CLIMATE CHANGE