The Erode turmeric gets a GI tag
- GS Prelims, GS Mains paper III (Agriculture)
What’s the news?
- Erode’s unique slender turmeric gets a GI tag for its distinctive fragrance and colour.
Why was it given the GI tag?
- The plant’s underground stems or rhizomes have been used as spice, dye, medicine and religious maker since antiquity.
- Tamil Nadu is the third largest grower of turmeric in the country (behind Telangana and Maharashtra).
- The spice’s colour comes mainly from curcumin, a bright yellow phenolic compound that has been in the news for its ostensible potential to fight cancer.
To know more about GI tags watch the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGHk-tOXJ-0