Modi articulates 5 action points to promote peace, prosperity in Indo-Pacific region
- GS Mains paper II
- International Relations, India-US-Japan Relations
Why in News?
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi, US President Donald Trump and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe had a “very good” and “friendly” meeting on the sidelines of the G-20 summit (Dec, 2018) “JAI (Japan, America, India) trilateral marks the coming together of three friendly nations.
- India, Japan and the US have agreed that a “free, open, inclusive and rules-based” order is essential for the Indo-Pacific’s peace and prosperity as the leaders from the three countries held a trilateral meeting for the first time, amid China flexing its muscles in the strategic region.
- Asserting that India will “continue to work together on shared values,” the PM said, “When you look at the acronym of our three countries — Japan, America, and India — it is ‘JAI’, which stands for success in Hindi.”
5 action points to promote peace, prosperity in Indo-Pacific region:
- The Prime Minister articulated five action points that would serve the common interest of promoting peace and prosperity in the Indo-Pacific region.
- He assured all countries of the inclusiveness and openness of this framework and highlighted the importance of working jointly in areas: connectivity, sustainable development, disaster relief, counterterrorism, maritime & Cyber security and unfettered mobility.
- Modi also underlined the importance of building consensus on an architecture in the Indo-Pacific region based on the principles of mutual benefit and respect for sovereignty and territorial integrity.
Vis a Vis China:
- The trilateral meeting took place at a time when China is engaged in hotly contested territorial disputes in the South China Sea, and with Japan in the East China Sea.
- Both the areas are said to be rich in minerals, oil and other natural resources.
- China claims almost all of the South China Sea. Vietnam, the Philippines, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan have overlapping claims in the waterway, which includes vital sea lanes through which about $ 3 trillion in global trade passes each year.
- The US has been conducting regular patrols in the South China Sea to assert the freedom of navigation in the area where Beijing has built up and militarised many of the islands and reefs it controls in the region.
- Prime Minister Modi, in his keynote address at the Shangri La Dialogue in Singapore in June 2018 expounded India’s stand on the strategic Indo-Pacific region.
Indo Pacific region Indo Pacific region Indo Pacific region Indo Pacific region