Why in news?
- The Government of India is about to roll out DigiYatra for air passengers soon.
- DigiYatra is an industry-led initiative coordinated by the Ministry of Civil Aviation in line with Digital India programme.
- It aims to transform the flying experience for passengers and position Indian Aviation amongst the most innovative aviation networks in the world.
- The facility will use digital technology to enhance air passenger experience all the way from ticket booking to airport entry check, security check and aircraft boarding.
- For this a passenger needs to enrol in to DigiYatra program through AirSewa app and a DigiYatra verified passenger will get hassle free entry at airport through E-Gates.
- The ID verification will be done by the BCAS-approved Government ID.
- At the entry gate a single token for the passenger will be created.
- The moment passenger will enter the airport his images will be captured and then he will be able to go through the full lifecycle of his travel in a seamless manner.
- The basic objective is to reduce queues at airports and bring efficiency to the boarding process.
- It is not just Aadhaar based but it is beyond Aadhaar.
- If somebody does not want to disclose identity there will be separate provision for them.
- This facility is expected to enable passengers to plan their trips efficiently by identifying price trends and estimate future airfares at the time of ticket booking.
- It will optionally link their Aadhaar to airlines and other ecosystem players at the time of booking for faster airport entry and automated check-ins without requiring any paper-based interventions.
- This will also facilitate walk-through security scanners swiftly owing to advanced biometric security solutions.
- The DigiYatra programme is expected to be initially rolled out at airports in Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Varanasi and Vijayawada.
DIGIYATRA DIGIYATRA DIGIYATRA DIGIYATRA DIGIYATRA DIGIYATRA DIGIYATRA DIGIYATRA DIGIYATRA DIGIYATRA