1st International Child Sexual Abuse Conference
- GS Mains paper I, II
- Social Issues, Child abuse, child sexual abuse, First conference on child sexual abuse
Why in News?
- 1st international child sexual abuse conference being held in Kolkata on 14-15 Dec 2018
Why this meet is being held in India?
- The global meet comes close on the heels of reports that India accounted for around 2.4 million instances of online child sexual abuse last year.
Why an urgent need for such a conferece?
- Global trends indicate that criminals are using the power of modern technology to exploit children and these trends include trafficking, buying and selling of children for sex, live porn, etc.
- According to the INTERPOL, around 2.4 million instances of online child sexual abuse were reported from India in 2017.
- Over 24.46 lakh children were abused in 2017 in India.
- Out of that, more than 80 per cent of children were girls under the age of 14.
Who all will attend the conference?
- Among those who will participate in it are officials from WBCPCR, IJM, chairpersons of women commissions across the country, senior police officials from six countries, and government representatives, prosecutors and judges from 15 countries like Germany, Uganda, Canada, Kenya, the US, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and India.
- Officials from social media giant Facebook and major consulting firms Deloitte, PriceWaterhouseCoopers (PwC) are also expected to be present.
- Intelligence Bureau and FBI representatives will also be part of this global conference, as reported by Mumbai Mirror.
What are the expected results of the conference?
- Global cooperation in terms of policing and laws is the need of the hour to counter the online child sexual abuse as the issue is, in nature, border-less.
- The current cyber laws in India are “mainly for protecting data” and are “not enough” to counter such instances.
- The key discussions at the conference would include four panel sessions — trends, challenges, bridges and solutions.