Central Information Commission
ü GS Prelims, GS Mains paper II, IV
ü (The article is very important w.r.t. ethics case studies
ü Polity and governancy, Right to Information (RTI), Central Information Commission (CIC)
- Prime Minister will be inaugurating the new premises of Central Information Commission (CIC) at Munirka in the capital tomorrow.
About CIC – Central Information Commission:
- Constitution of the CIC:
- CIC is a statutory body constituted under the Right to Information Act, 2005.
- Commission includes 1 Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) and not more than 10 Information Commissioners (IC) who will be appointed by the President of India.
- Oath of Office is administered by the President of India.
- Eligibility criteria for CIC:
- Candidates for CIC/IC must be persons of eminence in public life with wide knowledge and experience in law, science and technology, social service, management, journalism, mass media or administration and governance.
- CIC/IC shall not be a Member of Parliament or Member of the Legislature of any State or Union Territory.
- He shall not hold any other office of profit or connected with any political party or carrying on any business or pursuing any profession.
- Appointment Committee includes: Prime Minister (Chair), Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha and one Union Cabinet Minister to be nominated by the Prime Minister.
- Term of Office and other service conditions of CIC:
- CIC shall be appointed for a term of 5 years from date on which he enters upon his office or till he attains the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier and shall not be eligible for reappointment.
- Salary will be the same as that of the Chief Election Commissioner. This will not be varied to the disadvantage of the CIC during service.
- Term of office and other service conditions of IC:
- IC shall hold office for a term of five years from the date on which he enters upon his office or till he attains the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier and shall not be eligible for reappointment as IC.
- Salary will be the same as that of the Election Commissioner. This will not be varied to the disadvantage of the IC during service.
- IC is eligible for appointment as CIC but will not hold office for more than a total of five years including his/her term as IC.
- Powers and functions of Information Commissions?
- CIC/SCIC (Central and State Chief Information Commissions respectively) will have powers of Civil Court.
- The Central Information Commission/State Information Commission has a duty to receive complaints from any person –
- who has not been able to submit an information request because a PIO has not been appointed ;
- who has been refused information that was requested;
- who has received no response to his/her information request within the specified time limits ;
- who thinks the fees charged are unreasonable ;
- who thinks information given is incomplete or false or misleading ;and
- any other matter relating to obtaining information under this law.