APPROACHES OF COMPARATIVE PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
APPROACHES OF COMPARATIVE PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION APPROACHES OF COMPARATIVE PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
Ideal or Bureaucratic Approach
- Bureaucratic specifications are studied for reaching conclusions and developing understanding. Under this approach structures of organisations are analyzed in conditions of their horizontal differentiation, vertical differentiation, span of controlled.
- Procedures and rules are analyzed and the framework of functioning is determined. Job specifications and descriptions at several nodes are analyzed and some understanding is reached on the basis of elaborateness and degree of specialization compared in regards to dissimilar administrative systems.
- The limitations of this approach is that though it has been measured simple but it does not explain the structures and their functions in society and gives a very general observation.
Structural – Functional Approach
- It is measured as a very popular approach for comparing several administrative systems and was implemented through Fred W. Riggs in his revise for developing his Models of society/environment/ecology which will be discussed later in this article.
- This approach analyses society in conditions of its several structures and their functions for reaching an understanding concerning their positioning and functioning. Structures here can refer to govt.(political arrangement) and abstract like values systems in society.
- Function is seen as the discharge of duties through these structures in the society. The limitation of this approach is that there has to be a correct identification of the structures before proceeding to analyze them especially in agraria-transitia and fused-prismatic societies.
- Devised through Riggs this approach states that structures and their functions exist in an inter dependant manner.
- So if a revise is to be undertaken of a scrupulous structure and its function then its effects on other systems and their functions of society are also to be analyzed. Limitations are that this approach is highly complex and hard to apply.
APPROACHES OF COMPARATIVE PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION APPROACHES OF COMPARATIVE PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION APPROACHES OF COMPARATIVE PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION